An intraocular lens (or IOL) is a tiny, artificial lens for the eye. It replaces the eye’s natural lens that is removed during cataract surgery.
The lens bends (refracts) light rays that enter the eye, helping you to see. Your lens should be clear. But if you have a cataract, your lens has become cloudy. Things look blurry, hazy or less colorful with a cataract. Cataract surgery removes this cloudy lens and replaces it with a clear IOL to improve your vision..
What are IOLs made of?
Most IOLs are made of silicone or acrylic. They are also coated with a special material to help protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays.
- Monofocal IOLs –The most common type of lens used with cataract surgery is called a monofocal IOL. It has one focusing distance. It is set to focus for up close, medium range or distance vision. Most people have them set for clear distance vision. Then they wear eyeglasses for reading or close work.
- Multifocal IOLs –These IOLs provide both distance and near focus at the same time. The lens has different zones set at different powers. It is designed so that your brain learns to select the right focus automatically.
- Accommodative IOLs – These lens move or change shape inside your eye, allowing focusing at different distances.
Premium Intraocular Lens Implants
- A premium lens can improve your near and farsightedness.
- Some brands of premium intraocular lenses are designed to reduce or eliminate astigmatism.
- Most patients will not need to wear glasses afterward but this is not guaranteed in all cases.
Toric Lens Implants (a type of Premium Intraocular Lens Implant)
- If present, this will correct your astigmatism, however, if you have both an astigmatism and cataracts you will not regain hi-quality uncorrected vision unless your astigmatism is addressed. You can read more about Toric Lens Implants by clicking here.
As with any eye surgery, it is best to discuss your options with your eye doctor to determine what will work best for you.
Cataract Surgery and Cataract Lens Implants
At Clarity Eye, we specialize in cataract surgery and cataract lens implants. Our doctors are highly skilled in cataract surgery and specialize in the latest technology with premium lens implants.
For more information regarding the latest premium lens implants available, you can reach out to us and schedule an in-person consultation.